Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Scream to Scream, Scene by Scene: SCENE 10 of Scream (0:35:56-0:37:23)

In this project I attempt to review the entire Scream trilogy scene by scene in chronological order. Heavy spoilers and gore throughout!


SCENE 10
Length: 1min 27secs
Primary Characters: Sidney Prescott, Tatum Riley, Deputy Dewey, Mrs Riley (Frances Lee McCain)
Pop Culture References:
  • MacGyver (Poster on wall)


The 100th screencap of this series belongs to Tatum and Sit sitting in Tatum's room being fawned over by MacGyver! Not exactly "apt", but charming, definitely. Meanwhile, I don't believe Tatum Riley would ever have bed linens that look like that? It's hard to imagine she and Stu making out on one of those beds, can you? Although she does wear baby blue pyjamas with clouds on them, so...


"God, I loved it! 'I'll send you a copy' - BAM, bitch went down. 'I'll send you a copy' - BAM! Sid! Super-bitch! You were so cool."

Seriously, how great is Tatum? She and her white fluffy teddybear. Definitely one of my favourite lines from the entire trilogy. If there was one character I could change the fate of it is Tatum. She is so entertaining. But, alas, the big-breasted girl had to die, those are the rules.


This entire scene is just to show much I would want Tatum as a friend, isn't it? Damn them!


By now the film has all but chosen to make any use of the telephone be preceded by an ominous menacing shot of the telephone. Like in the time-honoured tradition of horror movies turning previously innocuous objects, creatures and locations and twisting them into evil forces of... evil. This shot perfectly encapsulates that. By now audiences should be screaming "DON'T PICK UP THE PHONE!"


I think the first ever image I saw of Scream - above a review in, oh I dunno, WHO Magazine? - was of this moment. Isn't that nice?


I love this shot for some reason. Maybe I have an affection for big closeups? Or maybe it's just Neve Campbell's flaring nostrils? I'll never know...

That line "you'll find out soon enough, I promise" is so good. Chilling.


"Hello?"

Oh Deputy Dewey. You're precious.

Intro, Scene 1 Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, Scene 6, Scene 7, Scene 8, Scene 9

2 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Yeah, her room isn't fitted to her... or to McGowan, at least.

Gotta love Dewey for trying.

Smashley said...

Oops, it's not MacGyver. It's Grant Goodeve from "Eight is Enough". There's a whole scene from the original script where Tatum talks about him.